Friday, April 1, 2011

AmethystVenom's #Crysis 2 Review(PS3)

I did not get a chance to play Crysis but was interested in Crysis 2. I was a bit hesitant at first but it seemed to have a lot of “fun” factor. Today I was finally able to finish to campaign. There are some reasons for the delay I will go into further though. I'll just say it up front though, if you want to be a kick ass soldier in a kick ass nanosuit check this one out.



I am only familiar with the first game through articles. Crysis 2 starts out 3 years after the first game in New York City. It is the year 2023 and there has been an alien invasion. These aliens are called the Ceph or as I'll always refer to them, those squid mother fuckers. I'll admit the story had some holes and honestly wasn't any sort of blockbuster. However, it doesn't matter because the game is “mostly” so fun to play.

Everyone has spoken about the graphics and how amazing they are. It is true. It's a gorgeous game and the New York here is certainly special. The details, lighting and areas are gorgeous. I keep getting asked the big question, better than killzone 3? I honestly can't prefer one over the other in graphics. We'll just say they hold their own in the graphics department. There are some unfortunate screen tearing which I'm assuming they will patch. This is nothing game breaking.

The gameplay is what makes this game come alive. Your nano suit is basically a near limitless weapon that you can customize to however you like to play. I must say most of the game I had to go through stealth although I'm a run and gunner. It's challenging but nearly all of gameplay was a blast. The controls are fluid and this is by far one of my favorite HUDs in any game. Thankfully the HUD even crosses over into multiplayer which I'll go into later.

The campaign honestly lacks much story. The dialogue honestly feels a little tired and really just seemed like filler. If you can forgive the story though, there is true greatness to this game on the gameplay level, different ways to approach situations and it's deserving of multiple play throughs. Who doesn't like being a kick ass soldier in nanosuit 2.0? I mean, try it on. It definitely fit for me. A game stopping bug did hold me back for a few days. EA's support was horrible as usual but finally after other attempts and suggestions. It seems if you get stuck after defeating a pinger, just restart the chapter. With that out of the way, the A.I. I felt could have been better.

It seems the development team went for details and got 98% of this game to perfection. However, with the a npcs running in place against walls it does take it down a notch. I hope there is a resolution and tweaks to the AI one day. I doubt that will happen but it far from ruined my experience with Crysis 2. If you are about fun factor, slick controls, a game that looks great and kicking ass I doubt you will be let down.

Yet another great thing is the Crysis 2 multiplayer. It is a blast to play, ugprade and use many different strategies to take down your opponents. I love the twists on the normal multiplayer fps modes. You have your normal team based and solo death matches. You have a capture and hold type game(Crash Site) where an alien craft comes and shoots down a pod where your team have to control it. I'm loving this mode. There is also a capture the falg(capture the relay), extraction(teams try to steal tanks) and assault(One team tries to obtain data terminals and the other team must defend). Killzone 3 also took a big hit due to the lack of maps. Not worry on Crysis 2, it comes with a whopping 12 maps! For the most part all put together extremely well.

Big question, so buy it or not? Buy it if this interested you at all. I see myself playing not only the campaign a few times through but multiplayer for hours. There is a bit of a learning curve but don't be afraid to jump in. It gets more and more fun as you level up. The multiplayer fits in well with the feel of the game and I think Crytek did an amaing job. It has some faults but they are extremely easy to look over. This is a must have title in 2011. Now, go, save New York and crush some squid soldier!

9.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment