Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Spiderman Shattered Dimensions Review

Spiderman Shattered dimensions is all in all fun to play. To me it’s the best in a long line of failures in the past. However, they haven’t quit mastered the formula. If you are a spidey fan you should definitely pick this up though.  I caught myself actually feeling like I was actually in a comic universe, especially with the Amazing and Ultimate story arcs. The battle system is worth while going after mastery and the upgrades are exciting to use. This system was very well built by the development team.

I’m assuming if you are reading this you are interested in the game so I’ll spare the details. Either way, you have four different spiderman universes. All of these universes do feel completely different. From the styles and gameplay this was a nice achievement. Unfortunately, there are some issues I had with a few of them so I’ll break it down.

Amazing
I’m an old school spidey fan so I honestly do love this universe anyway. This is the main style that I truly felt like I was in living comic. The highlight was definitely the sandman stage but all are quite fun. Neil Patrick Harris does a great job as the voice of spidey. Unfortunately, with all the universes, the dialogue get’s rather repetitive which got annoying as hell at times.  There are some great boss battles here so I won’t spoil it for you. I really enjoyed this part of the game.

Noir
This was the most intriguing universe and probably what got me so curious of the game. The style it’s in is truly a dark shadow environment that works. This part of the story did fit to it’s style and I really enjoyed it visually. Unfortunately, having spidey have to use stealth failed. I believe the idea would have worked if they had spent more time. It gets a bit frustrating and sometimes it seems it doesn’t work at all. Camera angles(Biggest problem throughout the game) was nearly a game killer for me at times. You get through it but I’d say there a certain frustration level to this. It could have been better.

2099
The world is quite colorful and a nice change from the other universes. Sometimes this simply fell short of mind blowing to me though. If the game wasn’t as linear I might have had nicer things to say. There was a lot of falls(halo jumps) and to me that just took me out of the spidey universe. I admit I did have fun while playing most of 2099 series and I did love how spidey felt. There just seemed to be some redundancy here that made me want to rush through and get through it. The bosses here are the weakest in my opinion. Again, not a game breaker but it just didn’t completely sell me.

Ultimate
I remember anxiously waiting to hear the all of the dimensions. When I heard ultimate I almost gave up on the game period. However, this had some of my favorite gameplay and bosses. The treated the black suit with respect and made it work with all the mechanics. Visually, if you know the ultimate universe, you’ll see exactly that. These sections had some of the most intense part of the games. I was actually extremely happy how the carnage action happened except for a few items I’ll name later. Fun, fun, stuff.

Overall, I had a blast playing through. It took me around 12 hours and I could go through it again. Nothing was that big of a game breaker except the Noir stealth.  It’s a system that reminded me of Batman: Arkham Asylum but failed to accomplish that big task. This is where the game falls the shortest in my opinion. It was a momentum breaker that actually got under my skin a bit. Also there is a First person view on nearly all the bosses where you dodge and punch with your analog sticks. Sometimes it felt right but most time it felt awkward. Does it belong in a spiderman game? I’d have a hard time saying so.

Another minor annoyance was sometimes the characters spoke but mouths didn’t move. Not sure what happened here but with this and the stealth system I feel like they got rushed. With another 6 months or a years of development time I think this could have been perfection. The voice acting is great especially Neil Patrick Harris but they seemed to get extremely repetitive at times. The music was good but not great. I’d say it has a high replay value if you are a huge spidey fan. There are also plenty of “emblems” to collect and the leveling up is quite fun. Also seeing the different costumes adds to the fun as well.  While not perfect, if you are a spiderman fan you’ll want to play this. If not, check it out and see what you think.

8.2 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment