Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Shatter(PSN) Review

I am a late comer to this game but thanks to PS+ I got this game. I’ll start off by saying I love the classic brick breaking games and this can be added to the best of list. This game has a true arcade feel and is completely stunning in 1080. Better than the visuals is the catchy electronic composition of Jeremiah Ross. It seems to add to the unique flow of the game and keeps you completely immersed in the world of Shatter.

Gameplay has a unique twist. Instead of the normal bouncing of the ball you have certain power ups along with the ability to either push or pull the ball. Vacuum with suck and pull if you will and no jokes are needed there. Ultimately you have the ability collect fragments for a shard storm which adds to the point collector in all of us. Another unique part of the strategy is the balls count as lives. So you can use more than one at a time in your strategy. Just be cautious as it can be much trickier keeping up with multi-balls. It almost adds a pinball flair to the classic brick gameplay.

For the price to play it’s honestly a title you must have and try out if you are into brick breaking games. I personally feel an addiction just due to the beautiful graphics and excellent tunes that accompany you on your electronic journey. Not much story here, just arcade fun at it’s best. Only downside is after you complete story mode there is only a boss rush mode and bonus mode. They are all fun to play but if you are not into bragging rights for a high score you might hesitate to come back.

Since I found this psn classic late I’m hoping they are working on the Shatter 2. Hopefully, with addition of a online multiplayer/coop which would have truly set this game as a must have. I believe it is still a must have for fans of the genre. You will be play off and on like I have since I downloaded the game. I’m still working on high scores and that’s enough incentive for now.

To set yourself apart in a genre filled with these type games for generations it receives a 9.5 out of 10 from me. I love everything this game has and is. Only thing holding it back from pefection is the addition of an equally addictive multiplayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment