Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Review(PSN)

I was fortunate to win this game as I was hesitant. I loved Lara and all of her features for years but the formula has gotten quite tired to me. I wanted to wait to give my thoughts on this game till the online coop patch was released. Finally, the wait is over and we have online coop. There is already local coop but this was the final piece to this game I was waiting for.

Lara finds herself in the Mayan jungle facing off against a Demon of sorts. I won’t say anything on the story because there isn’t a lot to go on here.  Is it important to the game? Not at all in my opinion.  As soon as you adjust to the new view of lara it turns into a beautiful game. The detail of the landscapes are quite impressive for a downloadable titled.

The gameplay is what makes this game. Although you know where you should go there are plenty of items to collect. Items such as relics, guns and other included in the many challenges this game offers. The puzzles are fun and exploration is rewarded. That’s what makes a Lara Croft game anyways right? Items change your  weapons, speed, skills, etc. I did have some issues with both of my DS controllers controlling with the left analog stick. It seems to have gotten better but a hint if you have this problem is to roll. It also comes in quite handy for beating the timed challenges.

I waited because I wanted to see if the online coop works. Great news is does and adds to the depth of the game. You solve puzzles different on coop so it gives it a unique feel and just adds again to the replay value of the game. You will want to trophy hunt, beat challenges and play coop with a buddy over and over again. I played the coop day 1 so it did seem it was tough to get a random game. Hopefully more people will pick this up soon so that’s not an issue. In the meantime, get a buddy and have a blast. That’s all the fun in coop anyways right?

I want to thank Crystal Dynamics for making a solid game, no matter the history. It is finally a blast to return to Lara’s world for me and for the price is one of the best offerings out there now. If you are into arcade adventure games this is a must have. If you are fan of Lara, it’s definitely worth your time to pick up this title.

9.0 out of 10 for a truly fun and replayable title.

No comments:

Post a Comment