Friday, January 28, 2011

AV's Dead Space 2 Review(PS3)




I’m coming at this review not playing the first Dead Space. Unfortunately, I missed the first one but I am on board for the sequel. It does have a nice previously on so I got to see what Isaac Clarke  had been up to. After a quick story fill in I wake up to madness. I’m on a space station named Sprawl. Instantly I feel I’m really there and all hell or necromorphs has broken out.

I can not say enough about the lighting and graphics in this game. It’s beautiful in it’s details. Space sequences truly stand out. Throughout my first play through I’m not sure I ever realized I was on earth. I was completely immersed in space. I think that’s when I felt something was truly different about this game. Don’t get me wrong, this is a hellish nightmare but there is beauty in the details. Space is incredible, the set pieces are beautiful and the whole look I believe is perfect. There are a few hiccups with the necros I noticed and some camera glitches but they were barely noticeable.

The lighting I feel deserves it’s own award. The darkness to the rings of Saturn to the lasers are simply incredible. A part of the total immersion is the lighting in this game and it’s perfect. While some sequences just put me in awe the majority of it has me ready to jump out of my skin. The lighting in ever aspect to this single player is brilliant.

Gameplay fits perfect with this game. You have telekinesis for grabbing objects, limbs to use as weapons and many other strategies. There is a slew of weapons and upgrades for your suit and equipment. They are extremely rewarding as it’s a challenge to receive nodes. Nodes lets you adjust your rig(suit) and weapons. Finally a survivor horror game that has balls and does limit you on ammo, powers, etc. You do have to work for it all and it’s a satisfying yet terrifying experience. Stomping can be a little too much fun but also grabs you loot. So there is a purpose to stomping on all the necros and bodies in this nightmare. Also there are puzzles that add a break from the combat. I really enjoyed these but don’t want to spoil them for anyone.

Sound is also a huge plus for me with this title. The music is eerie, atmospheric, dramatic, and fits in perfectly with the campaign. It never attempts to cheese it up and commend them for this. Screams and necros also fill up the sound to perfection. Sometimes I still don’t know if it was ears playing tricks on me or if it was a lurker coming at me.  The guns sound great and set pieces with moving parts are brilliant. Crank the volume, turn off the lights and enjoy this title to it’s fullest extend.

The replay ability is already high. There are 4 different difficulties although the last is probably left for people that just love abuse. The multiplayer is a lot of fun. It’s not perfect and is more of it’d be nice to kill some necros and/or humans with some objectives thrown in the mix. Guard or Defend. It’s fairly basic but it does work overall. While not the best multiplayer I think it does fit the game. There are plenty of ranks to move up and upgrades to achieve as well. I’ve heard a lot of people down the multiplayer and while it’s not perfect, I still see myself playing it here and there. It’s still a lot of fun. It also nearly looks identical to the campaign gameplay which I love.

I can’t recommend this one for the younger folks but those that want a dark, nightmarish, survial horror game this one is for you. It’s the best one I’ve played in a long time. It’s brutal, it’s scary and at times it’s simply fucked up. If it sounds like that’s up your ally do yourself a favor and check this one out. It will definitely be a remembered game for me for some time to come. Excellent game.

9.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment